This past labor day weekend, if you’re like those of us here at ECI, you were enjoying your long weekend with some outdoor grilling, cracking open a cold one, and spending time with your friends and family during the beautiful weather.
You might have noticed that the mornings are starting to feel a little cooler. It’s been a relief because the A.C. hasn’t needed to run, which can feel nice on your wallet. Of course, that cooling weather will start to turn cold, and your A.C. running is going to be replaced with your heat. That doesn’t always feel good on your wallet. While the shift in weather and the need for heating can’t be done away with, there are a lot of things that you can do to help keep your home warm and your wallet a little more full:
- Install a programmable thermostat to regulate your heating and cooling when you are not home. It’s a simple fix that can make a big difference!
- I’ve mentioned cleaning out filters as a great maintenance step, but instead of throwing out a dirty furnace filter, try wiping it down, or even vacuuming it so that it can be reused two or three times. (While I recommend the reuse, I would not go past three)
- I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; make sure you get your heating system inspected once a year as a preventative step!
- Understand your heating system and its controls. Remember my A.C. mishap a few entries ago? Take time to learn how your heating system works so that you can use it in the best and most cost-effective way for you. Calling an expert to walk you through, or demonstrate what can work is a great way to do this. We have a learning library with loads of helpful information. If you’d rather learn about your system on your own, YouTube and Google can often provide some insight.
- Keep furniture away from radiators. This is an easy one to miss. Yes, I know, the love seat looks better where you have it because the radiator isn’t as pretty, but furniture very easily blocks the flow of heat from radiators so it’s important to make sure they have their breathing room.
Now is a great time to schedule a maintenance check on your system before it actually gets cold. If you aren’t sure when you last had your system checked out, it means that it was too long ago. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to give us a call!