A transfer switch is the only safe way to directly connect the generator to your home.
A transfer switch isolates selected circuits your home from the power lines. This prevents back-feed, which occurs when power goes back down the utility lines.
Back-feed can not only damage the generator, but has the potential to cause a fire.
Even worse, back-feed could electrocute any technicians who are working on the lines - causing injury or even death.
A transfer switch eliminates the risk of back-feed. It is the only safe way to connect your generator directly to your home.